Mold Remediation: 3 Major Mistakes To Avoid

Mold is a problem that no homeowner wants to face; however, it's also an extremely common occurrence in homes and other buildings--especially in areas of high moisture and humidity. While there are some harmless forms of mold, the forms that grow indoors tend to be a danger to respiratory health, which is why mold should be removed and treated as soon as possible upon discovery. Generally, the best way to deal with mold is to contact a professional. In the meantime, homeowners should avoid making the following mistakes.

Using Chlorine Bleach to Kill Mold

Unfortunately, a myth has spread that spraying chlorine bleach on an area of mold will kill the spores and prevent the mold from growing back. However, this is simply not true. Bleach, although a strong chemical, is not a fungicide, so it can't be successfully used to treat mold. It may appear to get rid of spores, but they will soon grow back if they're not treated with an actual fungicide.

Furthermore, bleach loses its strength over time as it sits on shelves or is exposed to light, so by using bleach to treat mold, you're wasting your time and putting your health at risk.

Ignoring Symptoms of Health Problems

Different spores of mold can pose a variety of health risks to the human body. Most commonly, mold affects the respiratory system. As mold grows, small spores are released into the air; when breathed in, these spores can harm the respiratory track, nose, mouth, and lungs. Therefore, homeowners who discover a mold problem should see a doctor immediately if they notice symptoms such as unusual coughing, wheezing, or difficulty breathing. These symptoms should not be ignored, as they may be a sign of serious health ailments caused by mold exposure.

Failure to Treat the Cause

Finally, simply calling a mold remediation company to come in and treat the mold in your home isn't enough. Unless you treat and repair the cause of the mold, it's only going to come back. Contact a professional to determine the cause of the excess moisture and have it repaired as soon as possible; this could include anything from repairing a leaky roof to installing a de-humidifier in your home. Either way, treating the initial cause of the mold will help to ensure that the problem doesn't return in the same place down the road, saving you money and more hassle.

To learn more, contact a company like Colfax Corporation with any questions you have.

Share